Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Breakfast Recipe & New eBook!

I know it's only been a few days since I started this blog thing.  And I know I said I was going to post recipes on here that I found easy.  So I'm going to give you one right now!  Get ready to have your socks blown off...unless they're already off.  Then go put some on so they can be blown off.  I'll wait...  Socks on?  Great. 

This recipe is a simple one for breakfast if you're rushed in the morning.  On future recipes, I'll try to post prep and finished product pictures so you get an idea of what I'm going for.  Remember, when starting the Paleo lifestyle you'll be replacing all of those cereals and oats and muffins made of grains for foods bursting with protein and vitamins and nutrients.  And with breakfast being the most important meal of the day, these should help keep you full and energized to lunch.



Breakfast Egg Muffins


When I make these, I plan on having at least one a day for the work week and make them in advance.  You can adjust to your appetite or crowd of course.

Ingredients:
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 cup baby spinach (about a handful)
  • 3-4 pieces of bacon chopped or about 3 ounces of breakfast sausage crumbled (check the ingredients!)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
  • Salt and Black Pepper to taste
  • Olive oil/coconut oil/bacon fat (choose one) 
  • Standard muffin pan
  • Skillet
  • Mixing bowl (optional)
Start by greasing five spots (or more if you're making more) in the muffin pan.  I mention in the ingredients olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon fat - choose one of these to grease your muffin pan.  Eggs are a pain in the ascot to clean out of the pan once you've cooked them so you're welcome for the heads up.

Turn your oven on to 350 degrees.

Get your skillet nice and warm on medium heat and throw in the bacon or sausage.  Cook until it's pretty much done, remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon to some paper towels.  If you have a lot of fat left in the skillet from the bacon/sausage, pour enough out until you have about a tablespoon's worth left in the bottom.  Don't worry about measuring...just make sure there is enough to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet. 

With your skillet and leftover delicious fat back on the burner, toss in the baby spinach.  I like baby spinach better than grown up because it's more tender, but you can use either.  Cook this for just a few minutes until it's wilted, making sure to stir occasionally.  Once the spinach is wilted, remove with the slotted spoon and place on the paper towels.

There are a couple of ways to go about this next step.  It involves putting the eggs into the muffin pan.  I've tried both and the only difference is one less dish to clean...which is a win for me since I do the dishes.  Once I've checked the muffin pan to ensure all sides are well coated, I crack one egg into each muffin spot.  Put a little of the spinach and bacon/sausage into each egg, along with a little of the garlic and onion powder and salt/pepper.  Once all the eggs have been properly topped, mix each one with a fork to break the yolk and incorporate the ingredients.
  **Your other option is to break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the bacon, spinach, garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper.  Mix it all together and divide evenly into the muffin pan.  You should be just under the rim of each muffin spot.

Place the filled muffin pan into your heated oven for 20 minutes.  When they're done, I've found it easiest to remove them from the pan almost immediately and onto a cooling rack.  If there is any egg left behind, it seems easier to get out of the pan when it's hot.  Let those baby chicks cool for a bit, then put them in a container and keep refrigerated. 

To reheat take one egg muffin, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave for 10-15 seconds.  BOOM, instant breakfast.  Small amount of work upfront to prevent bad decisions during the week!  The best thing about this recipe is you can substitute a lot of the ingredients.  Don't have/like spinach?  Add in another type of veggie.  Don't have/like bacon or sausage?  Then you aren't a human and should probably turn yourself into the nearest scientist for observation.  Or sub with another meat or none..whichever. 

   

Oh, I almost forgot.  I'm excited because I just got a copy of the Paleo Parents' latest book, 3 Phase Paleo!  I'm going be reading through it tonight and posting my own review.  I've been skimming through this morning and so far it looks like a great addition to the library.  But I'll get into detail later. 

Tara posted her first Paleo meal picture on Instagram last night.  Pretty darn proud of that kid.  I tried to post a picture of it on here but couldn't make it happen.  She called me two or three times yesterday asking about things she can and can't eat.  In case you were wondering she had chicken with prosciutto and marinara, roasted butternut squash, and a salad with oil and vinegar.  Great way to start!

Classic french cuisine coming your way by week's end.  Stay tuned!

-Chomp Chomp 

No comments:

Post a Comment