Monday, January 27, 2014

Happy Monday!

It's been a long time!  I shouldn't have left you.  Without a dope blog to click to.  Click to.  Sorry...overtaken by the spirit of Timbaland for a moment there. 

And we're back.  Last week was LOOONG.  Had to drive to Atlanta for a sales meeting then back around to Greenville SC.  Then all over Greenville on Thursday and back up to my house.  Logged some serious miles I did.  OH!  But I found a restaurant in Greenville that has a a Paleo meal plan you can order.  It's called Saskatoon.  Only open for dinner but the menu looks outstanding.  Score!  But I'm not driving two hours each way every time I want delicious game meats. 

By the way, anyone out there who might see this and knows someone in the Charlotte NC metro area, I am interested in buying wild boar and venison if you have some to spare.  PLEASE!  I'd get it myself but the Saint Francis in me won't let me shoot an animal...yet. 

But yea, long week last week.  Had to bring along plenty of Paleo friendly snacks to help curb my cravings.  And yesterday was the last day of my 21DSD.  THANK GOD.  That was probably the longest 21 days of my entire life!  Though I have to say, Tara and I made some chocolate chunk cookies on Sunday with 85% Cocoa and it was plenty sweet to me.  So I'm thinking the detox helped to calm my sweet tooth a bit. 

So the rest of this week will be spent making sure I'm appropriating the right foods to continue my clean eatings.  Plenty of meat in the freezer but I'm starting to get a little sick of the three veggie mix I get from BJs.  I've made it just about every way I can think of by now.  I feel like I need some spinach and mushrooms in my life.  Perhaps some button mushrooms stuffed with a spinach and sausage mixture.  Ooo, I feel another recipe coming on!

Yes, I glossed over the fact that Tara and I made chocolate chip cookies this weekend!  Don't worry, I didn't forget.  :-)  She has been doing wonderfully for the past two weeks!  I'm so proud of her discipline in choosing the right foods and learning the good ingredients versus the bad.  But I was coming off the 21DSD and she hadn't had anything sweet aside from fruit.  We both agreed that cookies needed to find their way into our lives post haste.  We did some research, played around a bit, and made for you the delicious recipe you see below.  Enjoy!

- Chomp Chomp 

T&D Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes 10 - 12 Cookies 
 
 
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups almond meal (used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp grade B maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 dark chocolate bar, finely chopped (used Green & Black Organics 85% cacao)
    • You can also use a handful of a Paleo friendly chocolate chip like Enjoy Life
  • Mixing bowl and hand mixer, a stand mixer, or a food processor
  • Cookie sheet and parchment paper or silicone baking pad
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Put the almond meal, egg, coconut oil, baking soda, vanilla, maple syrup, and sea salt into your mixing bowl or food processor.  Begin mixing the ingredients.
  3. Add your chocolate chips a little at a time to make sure they incorporate well.  Mix for about a minute or until the dough starts to clump together in a ball.
  4. Use about 1 tbsp of cookie dough for each cookie.  Roll into a ball and place on the cookie sheet.  Gently press them down with the back of your spoon to flatten.  These don't melt down into cookie form like you may be used to. 
  5. Bake for at least 9 minutes.  Everyone's oven varies so keep an eye on them after this time.  If it looks like they need a little longer, check them every minute.  You shouldn't need any more than about 10 minutes though. 
  6. Here's the hardest step - place the finished cookies on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes.  The almond meal makes these fragile when they're first out of the oven so they need a moment to bind.  After that you can dig in!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment